This ad is expired.
Pavilion Dining Lead Cook
Posting #: 3888
Join the University of San Diego culinary team! Be an integral part of our award-winning, nationally recognized culinary program. We are proud to provide 2.5 million meals each year for our campus community of over 8,000 students, in addition to faculty, staff and visitors. Our diverse portfolio of dining locations and services includes; a full service restaurant and pub, retail outlets (four cafes and a coffeehouse), a market and deli, a food court featuring an array of global cuisine, outstanding catering services, athletic concessions at multiple locations, and food service for the child development center.
Pavilion Dining is home to an array of unique dining concepts that fuse distinct ingredients and flavors to create delicious menus in an inviting environment. Menus were developed in partnership with the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. Recipient of a Silver Loyal E. Horton Award presented by NACUFS for excellence in
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
The University seeks an individual with a strong interest in working in a mission-driven, faith-based institution. The role of Lead Cook in working with the campus community and the responsibilities of the position are significantly tethered in the university's contemporary Roman Catholic mission. The Lead Cook is responsible for aiding in the organization, coordination, and supervision of the preparation of hot food production, maintenance of quality and/or portion control, and the maintenance of sanitation and safety standards. The Lead Cook, under the supervision of the Chef, acts as a working supervisor in training, coordinating, and evaluating the work of the lower-level cooks. Typically, the Lead Cook performs the more difficult production duties and participates in the recipe and product development. The Lead Cook assists the Chef by developing departmental goals. Duties & Responsibilities: Production:
- Acts as working supervisor for food production for menued items.
- Supervises and participates in the quality and quantity preparation of all menued items.
- Reviews menu and helps assign and coordinate daily workload; organizes work areas to ensure ease of operation.
- Checks production sheet against inventory to assure necessary items are on hand; plans for backup items as needed.
- Helps forecast and order food and supplies.
- Aids in forecasting proper quantity preparation for each item served.
- Uses correct methods of preparation and instructs staff in the correct methods.
- Ensures products are made to specification and reviews recipes for variances in finished product, including yield, appearance, taste, texture. Consults Chef when corrective is needed.
- Ensures proper product portioning.
- Coordinates and instructs staff in appropriate sequential production time frames for maximum quality control.
- Responsible for the timely delivery, setup and dispensing of menued items as specified.
- Responsible for proper storage and utilization of leftovers.
- Ensures proper rotation and storage of all products.
- Assists in daily production sheets; responsible for assisting in the completion of production/event records.
- Assists Chef in the research, development, and testing of new recipes and menus.
- Attends weekly production meetings.
- Coordinates production and delegations with Chef on a daily basis.
- Has primary responsibility for the cleanliness of the kitchen.
- Maintains good customer relations through attitude, appearance, and attention to detail in daily work.
- Maintains consistent high-quality standards; quality-tests every finished product for taste, texture, appearance, and temperature.
- Assures that all foods are attractively garnished and appropriately displayed.
- Supervises service line to assure product quality standards are maintained: temperature, appearance, full pans, garnish, portioning.
- Ensures that products are not held longer than establishing holding times.
- Services customer/guest needs with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide quality service.
- Reports feedback from the customer to supervisor and/or area manager.
- Provides input on menuing, and special meals in weekly production meetings.
- Assists in the direction, supervision, training, and evaluation of cooks and part-time staff.
- Sets leadership example by willingness to work all job tasks.
- Provides regular feedback to employees regarding performance.
- Delegates assignments as appropriate and follows up to ensure work is accurate and complete.
- Operates all kitchen equipment and trains others on proper use.
- Responsible for a smooth workflow, communication, and ideas through a congenial, caring, and supportive attitude.
- Ensures that employees understand and adhere to all Dining Services policies and procedures.
- Reports any problems (disciplinary or otherwise) to supervisor.
- Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
- Supervises employees in proper food handling methods and techniques.
- Coordinates all scheduled cleanup operations.
- In absence of a supervisor, responsible for the security of the unit.
- Supervises the energy-efficient operation of equipment. Implements startup/shutdown schedules for equipment.
- Ensures excellent personal hygiene, including care of uniforms, shoes, and head covering for all staff.
- Supervises kitchen cleanliness/sanitation during operation.
- Does not participate in unsafe acts and sets a good example for other workers.
- Reports all accidents and/or injuries to supervisor, or to Public Safety in the absence of a supervisor, immediately.
- Reports all equipment maintenance problems to the supervisor.
- Ensures that all staff knows the location of fire extinguishers and Ansul System pull stations and how to use them.
- Knows and follows all University and Dining Services policies and procedures.
- Instructs staff regarding Dining Services policies and procedures.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- At least two years of related food service experience and at least one year of supervisory experience.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and manage personal and subordinate staff workloads.
- Must be thoroughly trained in classical and modern food preparation methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of proper cook times, temperatures, and food preparation procedures and techniques.
- Understanding of basic sanitation and safety requirements.
- Strong communication skills and problem-solving abilities; must be able to communicate with employees, University community members, and implement and maintain production records.
- Ability to organize personnel, work, and materials for maximum productivity; knowledge of basic ordering techniques and maintenance of par stock.
- Proven ability to supervise and motivate staff, as well as evaluate performance and delegate appropriate responsibilities.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below, as well as their preventive maintenance and calibration requirements.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
$19.31 - $21.83 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: November 13, 2022
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/494667/pavilion-dining-lead-cook
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency