Scheduling & Events Manager
Position Title & Department: Scheduling & Events Manager; University Centers
Posting #: 4822
The Hahn University Center and Student Life Pavilion (UCSLP) together serve as the hub for student life activities with full-service dining areas, a sustainable market as well as office space for student affairs, campus publications and student organizations. In addition, we offer one-stop hospitality and event services for the community and off-campus needs.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Contemporary Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
The university seeks an individual with a strong interest in working at a mission driven, faith-based institution. In line with our mission, the Division of Student Affairs is committed to grounding our policies, programs, and procedures in antiracist practice. With this commitment, we recognize the importance of educating ourselves and holding one another accountable to ensure our work is approached through an equity, inclusion, and social justice lens. We recognize our need for ongoing development in this area and continue to strive to improve. We expect all members of the Division of Student Affairs are willing to engage in this work alongside us to uphold our Catholic mission in creating a welcoming environment where the dignity of all students, staff, administrators, and faculty at USD is embraced.
This position is responsible for overseeing the daily scheduling operation for a diverse set of spaces including but not limited to the following: University Center, Student Life Pavilion, Salomon Lecture Hall, Dillabough Mission and Ministry Center, Manchester Auditorium, select outdoor spaces, all non-academic events in academic spaces, (where there is not a building manager). Coordinates with on and off campus clients to manage and implement high quality multifaceted events. This includes (but is not limited to) scheduling of rooms; working with Hospitality Services, Catering, Parking, Public Safety, Facilities Management, University Centers operations and custodial staff; coordinates resources including staging, lighting and sound for meetings and events. Responsible for supervising student schedulers and reviewing data input and accuracy of all events entered into the master calendar and scheduling software to ensure the work of the University Centers, Auxiliary Services and Facilities Management staff is performed efficiently and effectively. Creates rental agreements with scheduling software. Provides building usage statistics to the Director. Serves an integral role on a team that ensures the facilities are welcoming and engaging for our diverse campus community and guests and is reflective of our Catholic mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates all facets of events, including scheduling for a diverse set of spaces including but not limited to the Hahn University Center, Student Life Pavilion, Salomon Lecture Hall, Dillabough Mission and Ministry Center, Manchester Auditorium, select outdoor spaces, and all non-academic events in academic spaces.
- Advises clients on event production and available services provided by the University Centers team and university for events.
- Takes a liaison role in coordinating with other university departments and outside service providers including but not limited to Public Safety, Elite Security, Parking Services, USD Catering, Hospitality Services, Special Services etc. to provide all facets of event needs. Serves as a liaison with a variety of campus departments to ensure cooperation and coordination of small and large-scale events. Departments include General Services, The Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, Degheri Alumni Center, USD Catering, Law School Facilities, Jenny Craig Pavilion, Public Safety, Parking Services, University Relations, Hospitality Services, etc.
- Works to ensure proper ticket and crowd control as well as general safety and compliance with University policies.
- Ensures all event information is accurate and maintained utilizing the scheduling software in a high-quality fashion and in a manner compliant with all departmental and university policies and procedures. This includes the management of university resources, external contractors, and staffing needs for events.
- Brings all large or non-standard events to the attention of the Director of University Centers and Director of University Mobility and Scheduling for further review.
- Brings all events that might be deemed "controversial," to the attention of the Director of University Centers and Director of University Mobility and Scheduling for further review.
- Creates rental agreements.
- Ensures necessary documentation, payment and processes for events are communicated to customer during planning process and are received and completed in advance of event including insurance documentation as necessary.
- Ensures University Center and Student Life Pavilion building hours, holidays and major campus events are established in scheduling software in accordance with the academic calendar.
- Works to maximize space usage by creatively identifying spaces that fit customers' needs.
- Serves as a team member on the campus-wide scheduling team.
- Assists with building and event operations in conjunction with and in absence of Assistant Directors.
- Serve as accounting administrator for the University Centers revenue line items. Responsible for making deposits, submitting interdepartmental transfers, reconciling transfers and deposits, providing forecasted financial figures, and tracking financially delinquent groups.
- Manage incoming student event registration requests (EvRs) for all University Centers' spaces through the scheduling software, and guiding students through campus processes for compliance.
- During the academic year participates in weekly meeting to guide student groups and organizations on how to host an event on campus with approvals and compliance within University processes.
- Participate or host weekly meeting to synchronize set up needs between Hospitality services, General Services and any other pertinent groups depending on the weekly events.
- Reviews daily reports and addresses coordination concerns, makes corrections, places work orders, and notifies others of pertinent information contained in reports.
- Reviews operations reports for the upcoming two- to four- week period and identifies events needing additional arrangements. Contacts event requestor to follow-up on additional arrangements.
- Assists in the development of departmental goals.
- Completes annual reports related to facility usage, clients, revenue generated, etc.
- Assists in revising the reservations policies & procedures guide.
- Serve on area, division and university wide committees.
- Hires, supervises and evaluates student staff (3-5).
- Creates work schedules.
- Approves accuracy of timecards.
- Provides direction to Shiley Theatre support personnel as well as University Centers student staff as needed (50 employees).
- Develops comprehensive training program of student scheduling team based on learning outcomes and developmental plan.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- May be required to work evenings and weekends during peak seasons.
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- High School diploma required.
- Four years of progressively responsible event planning and scheduling experience required. A Bachelors degree may substitute for up to two years of work experience, at the rate of two years of education is equivalent to one year of work experience.
- Two years of supervisory experience required.
- Bachelors degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management, Business, Logistics, or other related field preferred.
- Prior experience with Event Management System, (EMS) computerized room scheduling systems preferred.
- Experience supervising college students preferred.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to occasionally work nights and weekends to support VIP, all campus or complicated events.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Clear, concise writing skills using proper English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Superior skills in and desire to provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; ability to interact with a broad range of constituents using tact and diplomacy.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload.
- Ability to anticipate and recognize problems, issues, and opportunities as they arise and advise staff and internal and external clients appropriately.
- General accounting skills (accounts receivable, budgeting).
- Ability to become familiar with University history, culture, and department structure.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools, as identified below:
- Personal computer
- Various software applications (Microsoft Office, Excel, scheduling software, room diagram software)
- A/V equipment
- General office equipment
$5,587.50 to $5625 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required Click the 'Apply Now' button to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
37.5 Hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: January 10, 2024
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/496595/scheduling-events-manager
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency